The Samsung Galaxy Fold is fashioning up to be the most exciting smartphone of 2019, despite its subsequent five-month delay due to initial reliability issues. It’s ready to launch in September, according to Samsung’s most recent announcement.
What were the Technical Issues with Galaxy Fold Design?
Several tech outlets have mentioned issues with the device after only days of use back in April. These aren’t the kinds of software bugs that could be addressed in a day-one patch, either. These are certifiable deal-breakers. These two were the main issues which were seen when the reviewers got in touch with galaxy fold in the first place.
- Screen flickering or blacking out.
- A bump or bulge appearing under the display.
In two of the cases, problems started when the user removed the protective film layer covering the Fold’s display. It looks like this protective layer is important to maintaining the integrity of the screen and we have now learned it must not be removed. Samsung will include a warning with retail Galaxy Fold units not to remove the screen protector, but this warning did not come with review units. It is evident now, that these problems were not at all software related; they were definitely the hardware technicalities. Now, that it appears that Samsung has fixed these issues, it appears that it will be released in September.
Samsung was wise to delay; because it would have been a disaster if consumers got their hands on the Galaxy Fold before it was ready. I would be angry and frustrated had I paid $1,980 for a phone only to have it break a couple of weeks later. All in all, it took Samsung three months to fix and improve the Fold.
Changes that Samsung is Promising with the Refined Galaxy Fold
These changes have been made and now we will be able to experience a better galaxy fold. (I hope so!)
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
No doubt, Samsung’s initial design have always failed to produce an impact on market. The initial design of Galaxy S series was a total failure. They were the worst smartphone interfaces mankind has ever witnessed. Same was the case with their tablets. But the best thing about Samsung is that they keep working on the product and the result is in front of you; Samsung is a top selling brand of smartphones in 2019. We can say that; they are not good at initiative but they are persistent in their products advancement.
Specs of Galaxy Fold:
|OS||Android 9.0 with One UI|
|External Display (closed)||4.6 Inches (HD+)|
|Main Display||7.3 Inches (QXGA+)|
|Rear Cameras||12 MP Wide-angle (f/1.5 to f/2.4); 12 MP telephoto (f/2.4); 16 MP Ultra-Wide (f/2.2)|
|Front Camera (closed)||10 MP Selfie (f/2.2)|
|Front Camera (open)||10 MP Selfie (f/2.2); 8 MP RGB depth (f/1.9)|
|Finger Print Sensor||Power Button|
|Colors||Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue|